Why Do We Have to Stand in Line at the Movies?

SHE SAID WHAT?!
Posted By Gaby

Like many people, I enjoy going to the movies. If I want to watch a movie badly enough, I’ll go on my own on the release day. In fact, I went to watch The Hunger Games only a week after having had my son, fresh C-Section wound, y todo.

I like watching movies but I HATE standing in line. HATE it. As much as I want to see a movie, I don’t see the point of going to the theater and standing in line for one or two hours just so I can say I watched it on the release day.

Alex and I have argued whether or not we should go to the theater early and stand in line, and while he usually wins, I begrudgingly go with the group, secretly hoping that when we get there, we’ll see that Alex is the only one standing in line. This, sadly, has only happened once, but I enjoyed that moment.

For me, standing in line is a waste of time. Having two kids now, standing in line means I have to add two hours of babysitting time. That means I either have to ask Eric or my parents to keep them overnight or I have to ask a family member (usually a cousin or my sister) to watch my kids for four to five hours. That’s a lot to ask. When we only had one kid, it was a bit easier, but two kids for four hours is a lot to impose on a 20-year-old single person.

Before having kids, it just felt like a waste of time. We’re at a mall but we can’t have dinner, grab a coffee or window shop because we have to stand in line? That’s pretty lame. Sure I could cut, but have you ever seen the look on people’s faces when you cut in line after they’ve been sitting there for hours? It sucks. People are only nice to you when you cut in line at Disneyland, and I’m thinking it’s because of all the happy things you experience. The local Century Cinemas doesn’t create the same happy atmosphere. Alex and others might argue that you have a chance to bond with friends while standing in line. Yes, true, but you can do that while having dinner an hour before watching the movie. You get dinner and a movie while bonding. When you stand in line you get bonding, dirty looks if you cut (or a full bladder if you don’t), and a not so healthy dinner. I prefer Option A.

Ultimately, it comes down to the one thing: I’m not interested in watching a movie enough to stand in line. No movie, in my opinion, is worth standing in line for.  I gots better things to do with my time.

HE SAID WHAT?!
Posted By Alex

What Gaby failed to mention in her article is that I hate standing in line, too. But I hate having a crappy seat at a theater even more than I hate standing in line. I’m not going to spend $9-12 bucks to have a shitty seat for a two or three hour movie. I’d rather show up early and know that I will get the best seats possible and thoroughly enjoy the movie I paid for rather than crane my neck.

The reason I go to a movie on opening day is not so I can tell other people I saw it. It’s because I’m really excited to watch it as soon as I can. Sometimes movies take years to hit the theater, so I apologize if waiting one more week is not doable for me. I cannot wait and if the option is there, I’m going. Unfortunately, no matter where you go, whether it be the happiest place on Earth or not, if you cut in line, you’re an asshole. People might be nice about it but they are thinking to themselves, “You’re an asshole.”

So I try to avoid getting this face by showing up early.

I know getting to the movies early is hard for us now that we have kids, and it’s why we don’t go as often, but usually I can properly gauge what movie will be popular and what won’t be, which then allows me to plan accordingly. Do I show up early or chance it? I think the last two movies we stood in line for were The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises, both of which Gaby had us stand in line for while she had fun doing something else. I won’t just call her out, because for my birthday, Crystal and Wendy were also nowhere to be found while the guys stood in line and talked mad shit. Mostly about which Indiana Jones is better and why, for the love of God, are you wearing a jacket, Eric? It’s 80 degrees outside! (His reply: “Cuz foo.”)

I mean, sure we could do what Gaby says and go out to dinner before a movie. I’d love to be able to do so all the while still getting great seats and not waiting in line. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way and I don’t want to be that noob that shows up late and stands there in the middle of the theater waiting for their eyes to adjust before they can find a seat in a packed theater. No thanks, leave that for the peeps that run late because me? I got here on time.

Okay fine, I got here three hours ago. Get off my back!

43 Responses to “Why Do We Have to Stand in Line at the Movies?”

1. Amanda

So I waited for a movie on opening night for my first time ever when The Hunger Games came out. Never read the book before but I went to the opening with my good friend and a friend of hers who had read the books and enjoyed opening nights. Not sure if I’m just getting old or if it was that fact I had been standing around for 2 and a half hours while I was 7 months preggers and had to pee every 30 minutes. Or maybe it was the fact that my friends and I got into it with a couple douches there that night but I will never do that again.

I personally wait at least a week or two after a movie comes out and go around 3 pm. I pretty much dislike people so I don’t want to hear some idiot on their phone or some girl who has to talk through the whole movie in my ear after I just paid over $20 for a ticket and a drink.

• alex

Yeah, I am personally not a giant fan of big crowds but I will brave them to see certain movies asap. Things like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I definitely plan to do this with The Hobbit. That movie has been in development hell for years so I’m excited to finally watch it come December.

2. Ozzy

I don’t recall Gaby actually standing in line for a movie. The guys usually stand in line while the girls walk around and come back 5 minutes before we are allowed to go into the theater.

Also, wasn’t it Gaby who told us the story of a lady calling her every name in the book at Disneyland because she thought Gaby cut in line? So that leads me to believe that not everyone at Disneyland is perfectly ok with letting people cut in line. For someone who likes to go to the unhappiest place on earth (disneyland) so often and pretty much line ride all day you’re there then I don’t see why you can’t stand in line for a movie for 1-2 hours once in a great while.

• Gaby

I’ve stood in line for several movies. Frankly, it’s been in recent years that I haven’t either because i could get away with not standing in line or I don’t go to the movies. If you recall, I’ve only been to the Avengers and Batman in the last year with you guys.

That story was at California Adventure, where they serve alcohol and people don’t act as nicely. She was a jerk and I called her every name in the book because I had to stand in line to someithing I didn’t want to stand in line for. And I actually hate standing in line at Disneyland and don’t go there for my sheer enjoyment, I go for my kids and my family. I deal with standing in line at Disneyland because that’s what you have to do and won’t stand in line for a ride that takes more than 30 minutes. Plus, don’t talk shit, Ozzy, you’re trying to convince Crystal to go to Disneyland, so I doubt you think it’s the “unhappiest place on earth”.

You can watch a movie more often than one goes to an amusement park, so I’d rather wait to watch a movie after the lines have died down than to go wait in line. And it isn’t once in a great while. You guys like to watch movies, so if I went with you to every single movie you guys watched, we’d stand in line.

3. wtg22

I mean, I agree that getting a crappy seat for the movies sucks the big one. So I don’t mind standing in line from time to time. But what Alex fails to mention in his blog is that he not only arrives early, he is pretty much the first person in line almost always. We stand there at the front so we can always claim the first row of the second section of the theater. I don’t think I’ve been to a movie with Alex when we haven’t sat there. And you know what?

I would actually prefer sitting a little farther back. My eyes hurt because that row feels too close.

There, I said it.

• echavez

i just read the comments and yes Wendy i agree. The seats he get are technically not PRIME seats at all. I figured Alex had a Prostate problem or something.

• wtg22

YES! Thank you! We sit too close, in my opinion. Yes, it’s good for easy access, but I think there’s a better viewing point a few rows behind where we sit.

I think we should vote right now on moving back a few rows. Who’s with me?

• echavez

I agree! you got my vote. And can someone teach alex how to find an actual true IMAX! hint ->Google

• Ozzy

In order to have your vote count as part of movie crew you need to have line ride at least 3 times. You have 0 so far, Wendy. So basically, you, Gaby, and Crystal have no voting power. Welcome to the 60s.

• wtg22

Whoah. Whoah. Whoah. I have absolutely stood in line with you guys on many occasions. Anytime we went to the movies at the Salinas mall, for example, and definitely most of the times we go to Century Theaters. In fact, I can only recall two times that I’ve bounced out of line. One was in Oldtown Salinas to go get coffee. Another time was when we were in San Jose and I got a back massage cuz my shit was hurting and I didn’t want to stand in line for an hour and then sit down through the movie and be a damn mess afterward.

My problem isn’t even with standing in line. It’s with the seats we choose after standing in line!

• Gaby

I don’t care where we sit, but don’t give us this crap about prime seats. You guys also end up angry cuz the screen is too dark, or there are dumb people talking over the movie. If you waited till after the release, it might be a more pleasant, and line-free experience.

• alex

Those are NOT prime seats. Who looks DOWN to watch a movie? Last time I checked, nobody mounts their TV at waist level.

4. Ravi

I cant vote, cuz u both have valid points. I agree with Gabby, with kids its difficult and different story, and I agree with Alex, i don’t want a crappy seat. I remembered one time, watching Last Samurai, i sat on stairs, because my friends didn’t wanted to stand in line. One advice to you both, don’t watch it on first day of the release. if you go after a week or 2, there is no need to stand in line and we get better seats. two birds at one shot. I know i’m in trouble now. FYI i watch Lord of Rings Return on King, on the first day, stood in line for 3 hrs to get a better seat. it was worth.

5. DavidB

I used to love doing this with my friends. We called it line-partying, because basically we were hanging out with each other and talking shit, playing games, etc, without many distractions. And it was a lot of fun. We’d have dinner and drinks and THEN line-party. Of course this was years and years and years ago, so no kids, but it was great. We had our cake and ate it, too.

As Alex said, it’s not about being able to say “OH YEAH I SAW IT OPENING NIGHT.” Usually if I’m going to see something the day it comes out, it’s because I can’t wait any longer. Like I’m sure some of us have done to get the new Harry Potter or Hunger Games book. You just literally cannot stand to wait one more day.

• Gaby

I get that, hence, the fresh c-section scar story. But I swear, Alex is excited about every single movie that comes out in the summer, so if we go to all of them with him, I’m standing in line for a lot of movies. I’m lazy, I hate standing.

6. Robert

I’m with Alex on this one. I like to get there early for big event movies. For all the reasons mentioned above.

7. echavez

Being Movie Lover #1 i don’t mind standing in line for movies i am looking forward too. The child care issue is a pretty big issue and makes going out for 5 hours really hard. I know Wendy (Alex’s wife) is not big on going to the movies. Gaby on the other hand loves to go see a movie. She just hates waiting in line for hours and hours just to get some mediocre seats. FYI, the seats Alex normally gets are not even the prime theater seats unless u constantly hit up the food court, are physically hurt and/or need to use the restroom a lot. The prime location are located in the mid/upper half of the theater stadium seating, yet we never get those.

That being said. I do enjoy hanging out with the guys and having some good shit talking. For the right movies, i am all for it.

• alex

Says the guy who complains about people kicking his seat. Guess who never pisses off anyone because he’s sitting comfortable? Me. :D

• echavez

Ok the seats are fine. But we could show up with the later ppl and still get those seats. Your argument is

Putting feet up > Viewing Experience

Just a few weeks ago u talked about a maximum viewing experience with sound y todo. Kinda pulling a Romney here.

• alex

Not pulling a Romney. You can have the maximum viewing experience AND be comfortable. As I said in my comment above, your chosen seats are not maximum viewing level.

• Ozzy

You do line ride with us but not without a fight. Alex is constantly arguing with you about buying tickets ahead of time and waiting in line. You yell and kick worse than a 5 year old. Plus, I can recall at least 5 occasions where I’ve had to buy your ticket at the last minute before they sell out cause you are late and didn’t bother to buy your ticket online or in person.

• echavez

Whatever bitch, last time we went to Maya and bought them for like 10 ppl. And i even take extra jackets to make sure if ppl get cold. they can use one.

8. Gaby

I have to clarify one thing. First, my apologies to Alex for not riding the line ride on his birthday. My bad, I got caught up. BUT, for the Avengers, I didn’t stand in line because I had a childcare issue, mainly I had to feed my baby. So yeah, I’m not standing in line if my kid has to eat…from me.

• Ozzy

Which is why movie crew got dismantled. Not everybody likes to line ride so it’s best that everyone just go when it’s convenient for them.

Btw, who wants to go to the midnight release for The Hobbit? Eric will buy tickets =)